On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Friday, October 8, 2010


I wish there was some way that I could thank everyone in person for the love they have shown us.  This trial has given us so many blessings, in particular the blessing to understand true friendship.

I am so truly thankful for all of the prayers and fasting on Erin's behalf.  Before I share the details of our experience I want to share a scripture that has been in my thoughts,

"And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things;
I would show unto the world
that faith is things which are hoped for
and not seen;
wherefore, dispute not because ye see not,
for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."
Ether 12:6

Yesterday I was scared about Erin's sore in her diaper area.  Having the Infectious Disease Doctors, Wound Care Doctor, and our Oncologist all worried just sort of made me more worried.  When I get that worrisome feeling I always find solace in drawing closer to the Lord.

I felt like I needed to ask Heavenly Father for a little miracle for Erin.  I had to evaluate within myself if I had enough faith in the Lord for a miracle.  I said a prayer in my heart and told my Heavenly Father that I would like to have Erin receive a Priesthood blessing and that I was going to fast for her.  I told Him that I knew that He had the power to heal.  I desired from Him that He would help her wound start the healing process and to soften the pain she was feeling.

I invited the Representatives from our church that cover Primary Children's to give Erin a Priesthood blessing.  There was a simply sweet spirit in the room and I felt the power that the Priesthood can bring into our lives.  I fasted, I prayed, and I felt good.

This morning our nurse woke us up at 7:00 am and said that the MRI people were ready for us (we weren't scheduled until 8:00 am).  I jumped up, brushed my teeth, and then we were out the door.  Erin was pretty calm and she obediently wore her face mask downstairs.  The nurse sedated her and then they strapped her to the MRI table, inserted ear plugs into her ears, and put a breathing tube up to her nose.  The MRI takes about 45 minutes so I went upstairs and got ready.  All the time, my anxious worry from the previous day was gone.  I just felt like everything would be okay.

I got downstairs and read a while in a waiting room.  The MRI technician came to me and said that Erin had woken up during the last of the MRI and that she was wide awake (and quite upset) in the hallway.  I got to her and calmed her down and we made our way upstairs with me carrying Erin and the nurse maneuvering her empty bed back to our room.

Then we waited.  I still felt good.  Erin seemed to be pretty happy herself.  She was using her hospital bed as a slide and she was crawling around and around on it.  I mention this because the past few days Erin has been carefully, and I mean very carefully been sitting on pillows and just watching TV because her bottom has been so sore.  She has barely moved in the past few days and now there she was scurrying around on her bed.

Around 11:45 am, just as Erin was nodding off for a nap, the Infectious Disease Doctor, a Resident, and a Medical Student (all of whom came yesterday) came to give me the results.  They said that they are sure that she has Cellulitis and that the inflammation is up into her groin and a little down her pelvis as well.  Then we all had a look at her sore.  To their astonishment it was less swollen, not shinny anymore, more red than purple, and it was smaller.  I think they were surprised.  The Resident said, "wow, it looks so much smaller!"  I think they were expecting to see that it had gotten worse.  The Doctor said that usually these things get worse and that the body doesn't heal sores like this while her counts are at zero, so he said the Meropenem (strong antibiotic) must really be working.  And I thought to myself that faith, prayer, and fasting really work too.

P.S.  I also have to add that the sore on her head is also smaller and less swollen and red.

I am very thankful for the peaceful feeling that I feel.  I don't expect her sore to just disappear, but I have been comforted that it isn't getting any worse.  I know that we are being watched over.  I know that there are angels attending to us.  I know that Heavenly Father loves us.  Thank you for your faith!


  1. I'm so glad Erin's sore is looking better and I'm SO glad she is feeling better! Give her a hug and a kiss for us! You are all always in our prayers.

  2. While we are saddened by this illness, it is so wonderful to see the hand of the Lord watching over and helping Erin and your family. What a blessing it is to know the Lord and have Him active in our lives! Your family is so faithful and courageous and we love you!

  3. I hope once her counts start to come back the sore will start to heal. We too feel like we had many blessings and miracles.

  4. So glad. We said extra prayers yesterday for her. We are so glad she's improved. The Lord is truly aware of our needs and of our extra efforts of faith. We are so blessed to have the gifts of prayer and fasting.