On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Monday, October 25, 2010

BIG day is over!

Phew.  12.5 hours later and Erin and I are home.

It's so nice to be back home.  We left Logan at 6:30am and arrive at Primary Children's at 8:3am.  We met with Dr. Khatua and he arranged for us to go downstairs to Radiology for an ultra-sound of Erin's cellulitis.  By the way, it looks way better than it did yesterday.  We sat around in Radiology for awhile when the receptionist called me up and told me that the Oncology Clinic wanted us back upstairs and they were cancelling the ultra-sound.  I'm sure I looked very confused because she said, "you'll get to talk to a doctor about this."

Back up to the fourth floor we went, past the Nemo fish Elevator display that were sleeping (in other words, no one had turned them on yet).  Dr. Khatua (our Oncologist) explained that the Infectious Disease Team (Dr. Barnette & Dr. Verma) had decided that they wanted an MRI of the cellulitis so that they could have a better look at it. 

The only spots open for an MRI were 4:00pm at Primary Children's or 1:30pm at the Outpatient Primary Children's in Riverton.  I set up the 1:30pm appointment and then Erin and I went to the store to buy diapers for our long day.  Why I didn't pack diaper, I do not know.  All this time though Erin was NPO which means she hadn't eaten anything since Sunday dinner.

Erin and I went to the Hogle Zoo to pass the time.  What a nice day for the zoo.  A nice 40 degree temperature and not a single other patron at the zoo.  We had it all to ourselves.  We rode the carousel and sat in the Peacock seat.  It's kind of weird sitting on a carousel all by yourselves going round and round as you pass the carousel employee over and over.  We really enjoyed ourselves despite the cold.  Because the zoo was empty we spent a lot of time pouring over each exhibit.

We left around noon and Erin slept the entire way to the Riverton Primary Children's Outpatient Building.  We were a bit early so we just sat in the parking lot while Erin slept.   (This is really sounding like a big-o travel log isn't it? - oh well . . . on I go . . .)

The Riverton Building is only about 1 year old and it was empty.  We got right in and set up for the MRI.  Erin was given Precedex (sedative) and 10 minutes later she was still pretty awake.  They had her little body in the MRI and then they gave her Ketamine (another sedative) and that just stunned her enough to get her to go to sleep.  I hung out for about an hour and then they brought her to me in the Recovery Room.  They told me that she had woken up in the middle of the MRI.  They said she sat up and called "mama mama!"  They gave her more Ketamine and more Precedex. 

By the time they got her to me she was still completely out.  In fact, she didn't really officially wake up until we were about to Logan.  The nurses said that the kids on Precedex are usually pretty out when they go home.  They were right.

She is finally eating her first meal in the last 24 hours of pizza, chocolate chip cookies, and a banana. 

Well, we will find out the results on the MRI tomorrow.  She is now tentatively scheduled for a Bone Marrow Aspirate on Wednesday morning and then they plan to admit her for her last round of chemotherapy - all depending on how the MRI looks. 

As Dory (from Finding Nemo) would sing . . . Just keep waiting . . . just keep waiting . . . just keep waiting.


  1. I have fallen in love with your darling Erin -and I haven't even met her! Her bright, radiant spirit just glows....even thru her pics! Her smile is contagious! I'm Cami's G'ma and have heard from Cami and Chelsea how bright, cute and fun Erin is. Here is another quote from NEMO:

    Dory: Hey there, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down do you wanna know what you've gotta do?

    Marlin: No I don't wanna know.

    Dory: [singing] Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.

    Keep swimming and know that a lot of people, including me are continuing to keep you ALL in our prayers and thoughts! SO difficult to watch these sweet, innocent children go thru SO much! All my best!

    ~ Grandma Di-Di

  2. oh what a long day for erin!! NPO all day?! ugh, those are yucky days. what a trooper! i'm glad to hear that the cellulitis looks a little better. we're anxious to hear the MRI results. hopefully you can get started with the next and LAST round soon!!