On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Today is a glorious day.  August 17th marks the anniversary of when John and I were married in the Logan, Utah Temple.  It has been 8 wonderful years full of many life changing events.  I think that the "life changing events" are what life is about?  If we didn't change and have ups and downs we wouldn't learn and progress, plus we'd be pretty boring.  It's like in middle school, on the last day of class, and your friends write, "Don't Change!" in your yearbook.  How silly!  Of course we want to change.  Every day we want to become better people and if that includes changing our ways, then by all means we should change.

Having a child with Leukemia is a life changing event.  It has been a heavy burden and a source of sadness for our family.  It has also been a beautiful blessing of miracles in so many other ways.  How can I say a burden can be a blessing?  It depends on how we look at life and I have prayed that my eyes will be open to the many blessings that come from our struggles.  It touches me to say those words. I see miracles happen every day.  Many of you have brought miracles upon us.  I wish I could share all of them with you.

Today Cecily and I traveled to Ogden for a flute masterclass.  John met us at Weber State University and then we went to McDonald's.  It was a brief little meeting and we joked about how we'd spent our anniversary at McDonald's.  It was great to see him!  It was a little miracle that we were able to meet up together.  We miss the unity that being together brings.  John is just doing incredibly well pushing through his days at the hospital.  He is able to get out for walks during Erin's naps, and he does some visiting around SLC when she goes to bed at night.  He said it is so wonderful to wake up each morning to Erin's sweetness.  She often wakes up and looks over and says, "Oh good morning Daddy!"

Erin has been doing very well.  Up until today Erin has been emotionally pretty stable.  Today she was a little more frustrated than usual.  Her two year old independence has been very prevalent today.  It could be that she is just tired from a lack of sleep.  It could be that she is starting to feel the repercussions of the chemotherapy.  It could be that she is just pent up there in that hospital.  John said that by bedtime he had her laughing and giggling again and she went to sleep a happy girl.

It's all about taking things one day at a time.


  1. happy anniversary jill and john. :) landon parker is starting to get some of that 2 year old independence and he's not even 2 yet.. i can't even imagine him cooped up in a hospital room all day. heck, i can't imagine 37 year old me cooped up in a room all day. your family continues to be in my prayers every day and i'm glad to hear that things are going as well as they are. :)

  2. Happy Anniversay! :) Casey and I think about your family often and we're so glad that Erin is doing well!

  3. ha ha, we went to Macdonalds today and I even put some money in the Ronald Macdonald fund thing for your family and another family I know who have benefitted from it here! I wanted to tell everyone else in the queue to put money in too becuase it really does help people!