Pages

On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Receiving the Tree

Erin checking out the Festival of Trees pictures on the blog.
Her white blood count is 0.6 (normal is 6.0)
and her ANC is still zero.
Her bone marrow is just so tired and it's taking a long time to recover from the five rounds of chemotherapy.  We hope to see her ANC coming up next week!


She was really excited to see the tree pictures.
When she saw the picture of her
in the red dress & white headband
my dad asked her, "who is that?"
She replied, "little air bear."


The arrival of the tree.
4 families helped pack up the tree in Layton
and deliver it to us in Logan.


They even vacuumed the rug.


They were so careful with everything.
Notice how the tree was all wrapped up.




 Cecily wanted to help with everything.
She directed them in where to put the bears.




The tree has cinnamon sticks on it
and it has given our living room a delightfully Christmasy smell.


Everyone who helped.
We hugged and cried when they left.


Cecily sat at the piano all day.


And she read stories to the sheep and donkey.


We just can't thank everyone enough.
We don't even know all of the people we need to thank.
So, I hope that you know how thankful we truly are for this sincerely wonderful gift.
It has brightened our Christmas and given us something beautiful to enjoy.
I know I've said this before, but I just cannot wait to have Erin come home and enjoy this.

In Church today I was struck by something in our lesson.
We talked about the gifts Christ has given us
and our gifts to Him.

Christ has given us so many gifts through Erin's Leukemia.  In the beginning, I don't think I truly realized that we would be so blessed for this trial.  Just after telling my Dad that Erin had Leukemia he hugged me and cried with me and told me that we would see miracles.  I really believe I have seen many miracles these past 6 months.  The miracles always seem to come after there's been a bump in the road.  Just when John and I feel like we can't endure this anymore, when we feel like the rains are descending, and the floods have come, and the winds are blowing, and beat upon our house (sometimes literally) something miraculous always seems to happen. 

We are always blessed for founding our lives on our Savior,
no matter what difficulties we face.

The world has overcrowded this special time of year with Santa, television commercials, billboards, and mailers that promote things that we really don't need.  The world is trying to make us focus on ourselves.  As I think about what my gift to my Savior would be I am overwhelmed with the fact, that all we have is already His, so what in the world can we even give Him?

All that I can think of is that
we can take our focus off of ourselves
and give our hearts to Him.

Thank you so much for sharing this burden with us.
Thank you for reading our blog and asking about Erin.
Thank you for praying and fasting for Erin.
Thank you for the gifts and memories you've given to us.
Thank you very much!

3 comments:

  1. PS The black chair is really a recliner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Jill (made me cry!). :) What a special, special Christmas for you guys - and a special tree and decorations to mark it.

    It is so true that we are blessed in our trials. The Lord never forgets or abandons us. I love reading about your thoughts and your testimony.

    We are praying for Erin's counts to come up. Rise little ANC, rise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I was doing a research paper on leukemia for one of my college classes I happened to run across your blog and I realized that I had worked with Erin quite a few times as a volunteer with the kids crew. I am always so amazed at how these children put up with everything and then turn around a smile. I remember one of the days I was with Erin the nurse needed to give her some medication and as any child would she didn't want to take the medicine. Right after they gave her the medication she turned around and said "thank you, bye". I'm so glad to hear the her chemo is finished! I pray that you will be able to return home soon. It is always easier to recover and play at home. As my mom was reading your blog with me she just cried and gave me a huge hug saying I'm so grateful that we didn't have to deal with cancer..she looked at me and said I knew you were in pain but I can't tell you how grateful I am that your condition isn't life threatening and that you were lucky enough to recieve the expirmental treatment to be put in remission and of course she added that I hopefully can appreciate what parents go through to help their sick children (she doesn't know how much I already appreciate that). I will keep Erin in my prayers and I just want your cute little family to know that you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete