On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Last Big Clinic Day

Today Erin had a big day at Primary Children's.  We decided to make it a day in SLC with the whole family.  John took Cecily and Caleb to IKEA and the Living Planet Aquarium in Sandy while Erin and I were at the hospital

First off we went to the Oncology Clinic.
We met McKall and Chase, some of our ALL Leukemia friends
(too bad we didn't get a picture with McKall)

Erin looks so bored doing her blood pressure.
Just a few months ago the blood pressure was TORTURE,
now she barely notices. 

We found a HUGE surprise when we got to her Clinic room.
It totally brightened her clinic experience.
This blue stocking is taller than she is.
Her words when she opened the stocking up:
"Holy Moly!"
It was full of princess things, play dough, and Tinkerbell barbies.

We were so happy to see Dr. Verma and Dr. Barnette (not pictured). The Clinic was empty so we got to sit and chat with both Doctors for 45 minutes. We love them so much. They were very happy to see Erin.  They kept commenting on how well she did the last 6 1/2 months.  

Starting today we are pretty much done with everything.  She will get her central line taken out the first week of January.  Erin only has to take Septra (an anti-pneumonia medication) for 3 months.  She is off all of her other medications!  Yay!  She won't need to have anymore blood tests done at home to check her ANC.  We'll just do them once a month in the Oncology Clinic at Primary Children's for the next year.  It is such a weird feeling.  I am still so occupied with the thoughts of not letting her get sick or be around anyone sick, but her immune system is coming back.  It's strange to think that she won't be immunocompromised anymore.  I am adjusting to normal life again.  It is all so strange and wonderful.

Then we went down to R.T.U (Rapid Treatment Unit) for her Bone Marrow Aspirate.  She was giggly and played and played with the toys in her stocking. She was starving because they were doing anesthesia, but she was so happy and well behaved.

Sleeping little angel.

She woke up from the bone marrow aspirate happy as a lark and asking for the usual purple Popsicle. Dr. Verma looked at a sample of her bone marrow under a microscope and said it looked really good.  The marrow will be sent to the Primary Children's lab to be further examined and another sample will be sent to the Children's Oncology Group for even further in depth examination.  We should get results around the 29th.

Then we made our way to Cardiology for an ECHO and an EKG.

The ECHO (Echo cardiogram) is an ultrasound of her heart.  The Daunorubicin chemotherapy she took during treatments can harm her heart so they keep a close eye on her heart. 

The EKG (Electrocardiography) measures the electric activity of her heart.  They place 12 electrodes on her.  She HATES it.  She really HATES it. She kicked and screamed through the entire EKG.  It doesn't hurt, but she just hates all those stickers.

We got home to a roast we had put in the crock pot and we had a little pre-Christmas Eve celebration.  We ate dinner complete with Christmas crackers.  John and I both served missions in Great Britain (me in England and John in Scotland) and at Christmastime we pop open the crackers and wear the crown inside and there is always a little present hidden inside too.  Then we gave the kids a special present from Grandma Hughes.  She is such a talented seamstress. Can you believe she MADE these adorable pajamas?

Finally we opened a special present that a secret Santa had dropped at our house to open when we were all together. 

It was the cutest book called "Tickle Monster"
by Josie Bissett
It even came with tickle monster gloves.
Erin had to tickle everyone with them.

We are so grateful for the cards, letters, gifts, presents on our doorsteps, the 12 days of Christmas, the office elves, prayers, hugs, and phone calls.  We are so overwhelmed by all of the love that has been shown to our family. 

This year has come with some tremendous trials and some of the most cherished moments.  Thank you for helping us.  Thank you for checking on us.  Thank you for praying for us.  Thank you.


  1. Jill! I just found your blog. How wonderful to see little Erin doing so well! I adore that cute girl. Best of luck to you and your cute family. I hope I never have to see you again (at Primary's, that is!). Unless, of course, you come to visit the night nurses to let us know how fabulous Erin is doing!

  2. It is exciting to hear that Erin is doing so well! I love hearing such wonderful stories of children recovering. I am a volunteer on the Kid's Crew and I've seen Erin and your family around the hospital quite a bit over the last six months or so. As volunteers we don't always know the outcome of our patient's stories. It is such a blessing in my life to serve all of the children at the hospital. I will always remember Erin's cute smile! She was the sweetest thing to work with and I wish Erin and your family the best!