Pages

On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Two Possible Ideas.

Erin's ANC is up to 200. I am so thankful that it's rising so soon (we didn't expect this for another 8 or 9 days) because that means that her body can fight off it's infection. The doctors have said that the parents are the best initial source for what their child might have if they get sick. John and I have done some researching and asked a lot of questions. With the doctors help we've narrowed her illness to two possible ideas.

(1) She has tested positive for Rhinovirus. The Rhinovirus is basically a common cold virus and it lives in our noses. It can live for months there and we can show no signs of infection, however since Erin has no immune system she isn't able to fight off infections. So, she has a cold. The fevers are likely her body's defense system. It can also be accompanied by sore throat and that would explain why she isn't eating.

(2) She likely also has Mucositis which is a very common side effect from Chemotherapy. The lining of her mouth, throat, and digestive track can become inflamed and ulcerated. This would explain the diarrhea and why she isn't eating. It can be very painful so maybe that's why she is so much happier when she is taking oxycodone. She has an order for a medicine drink that sort of numbs her digestive track so that it isn't so painful and she'll be taking that today. Only time and an immune system can heal the Mucositis, so I am so thankful and feel so blessed that her ANC has starting rising so quickly.

I would like to add a disclaimer to all my blog posts. I am not a doctor and most of what I learn is from "hopefully" reliable sources on the Internet and information that the staff at Primary Children's gives to us. I'm sure there will and have been times where my medical information is not entirely correct, please forgive me for that.

Last night John and Erin both slept very well. She slept through most of the day yesterday too so I was surprised to find out that she actually slept at night as well. It is so good that her body is getting time to rest and heal. Thank you so much for all the prayers and faith! Last night when Cecily was saying our dinner prayer she told me she was going to pray for Erin and for our neighbor who has a sore throat. She then asked me if there were any other people that were sick that she could pray for. I couldn't think of anyone off hand so I told her to pray for anyone else in the world that might be sick. I continue to marvel at how sweet children are and how we should be more like them.

1 comment:

  1. Miracles eh? I bet you can't even count how many you'll experience throughout this process!

    ReplyDelete