Pages

On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Cooooolds

We've all been a little sick over the last week.  Erin brought home a nasty cold/cough from preschool.  She was the first to get it in our family, and even though it's been through most of us and we're on the mend, she is still in the full swing of runny nose, goopy eyes, nasty cough, etc.  It's not fair that it takes her body soooooooo long to get over things.  She's a good sport through it (most of the time) and she is always telling us that she's sick and that she had to go in the "big O" (CT Scanner) to get pictures taken of the insides of her body. 

I'm a little melancholy thinking about Erin getting sick and having long lasting symptoms.  Mostly I keep cancer thoughts pretty far from my mind, but just last week a dear little 3 year old boy in Utah died of AML.  He was diagnosed only 2 months before Erin, and relapsed when he was 14 months off of treatment.  This week, Erin hits 15 months off of treatment.  To have a little cancer friend die so quickly was a shock, he was only 1 day away from his Bone Marrow Transplant too.  It's just so close to home.  I don't mean to be so down, it's just too real for us.  I try my best not to think about it and really I have done a good job, you'd be proud of me for not dwelling on the bad side of cancer.

I have much to be thankful for and I'm thankful for all of the wonderful months we've had a cancer-free Erin around.  She is so much fun, she loves to tell us all what to do, and she's spoiled sooooo much.  This week we'll be taking Erin in for her blood test.  Lots of prayers for Erin to stay cancer free!

1 comment:

  1. Jill - cancer land can't be all happy and good side all the time. if you didn't get down about it I'd worry about you. You'd be in denial about the realities of cancer. I'm grateful for everyone who survives (Erin!!!!!!!!) on the other hand, sometimes the ridiculousness of how many die gets to me. The two most important people in my world died of cancer, and sometimes I find myself being all dark-humored and warning people not to get to close to me, because look at my dad and my best friend Melissa.

    I'll be praying for those blood tests to be normal, well as normal as they can be with Erin fighting a cold. When you post that all is fine I'll rejoice again and I'll celebrate the lighter side of it with you - the lighter side being survival and frets about colds rather than relapse and frets about line infections and worse.

    Oh, I hope that made sense.

    ReplyDelete