Pages

On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Tribute to Tanner

Tanner Smith, age 19, passed away Saturday night after a courageous fight with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.  My heart has been so heavy from this news.  Last December I first met Kristi, Tanner's mother, in a parent craft hour at Primary Children's Medical Center.  We were the only people who showed up and it only took a few minutes to figure out that we were both from Cache Valley.  It was peace to my soul to meet another mom from our valley and it was a great comfort to be her friend. 

I have been greatly impressed with Tanner's parents, Kristi and Robert, who have been such strong examples for me.  Every time I have been in their presence I have felt their devotion to their Savior and their devotion to their family.  They have been through a lot with Tanner's cancer and I know that they will be greatly blessed through these difficulties.  Even through all that the Smith's have been through this weekend, Robert took the time to call me tonight and share some tender thoughts and moments his family had with Tanner.  I will forever be grateful for the friendships and the support group we have around us. Please continue to pray for the Smith family as they continue to heal.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jill. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. This world is hard because we meet people, and bring them close, that may die. I think it makes us stronger, and I believe, if we let it, it can bring us closer to God. He is looking over your friends and always will. I wish for them to be able to feel His presence with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I just read a post at "The Daily Episcopalian" that I thought you might like. It's called "A living hope" and can be found at: http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/faith/a_living_hope_by_bill.php

    To give you a taste.. here's a paragraph from it:
    "But--and this is an important "but"--(as Kathryn Tanner and Karl Rahner, among others, have pointed out) our absolute passivity before God does not imply a passive existence in the world. Hope changes things. God is not like an especially powerful creature, but is the ground of our very being. When we come to new birth in Christ--when we stop presenting an obstacle to God's mercy in our lives--we grow in our freedom. The more radically we depend on God, the more fully we become ourselves."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, thank you so much for your support and for the beautiful words of encouragement and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Tanner. I pray that his family will be comforted at this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a son in remission, Chaz. I met you at a parent meeting in September. We too are getting ready to go to Disney World. We also are very sad to hear about Tanner. I just can not believe it. I would much like to talk with you. Rochelle Hansen from cache valley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rochelle, I do remember you and I am so glad you wrote here. We will have to get in touch.

    ReplyDelete