Pages

On June 1, 2010 our two year old, "Little Air Bear," was diagnosed with Childhood Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Type M7. After enduring 146 days at Primary Children's Hospital, Erin is now in remission and living a full life at home with our family. Her strong will and constant happy smile is an inspiration to us all. Through our difficult circumstances we found great strength and peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for checking in on us.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas and Leukemia

My husband was kind enought to pre-set FM 103.3 on the radio so when I turned it on in our family room I was enveloped in the sounds of Christmas music.  Of course I didn't turn it off - I'm a Christmas music in November advocate.  The second song "Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire" came on.  Erin was helping me in the kitchen and I just started bawling. 

Last year, Erin finished her treatments the week before Christmas.  I was barely able to feel the spirit of Christmas last year.  Hearing Christmas music today and thinking about buying presents for our kids has brought back a flood of emotions of how hard last year was, especially around the holidays.  My tears of pain eventually turned to tears of joy that we all get to be together this year as we celebrate this wonderful time of year.  Erin kept asking me what was wrong, she even told me to show her my happy face.  I told her that sometimes we cry when we're happy.

But, now I sit here again.  Crying.  I just found out that our friend's AML has relapsed.  What was thought to be a mosquito bite on her arm (that didn't go away) was really a tumor on her arm.  Brielle was diagnosed with AML shortly after Erin was and she received a bone marrow transplant from her sister.  She will go back to Primary Children's for ANOTHER bone marrow transplant. 

Please pray for Brielle Beus and her family!


Brielle & Erin at the July 2011 CureSearch Walk

2 comments:

  1. Jill, I'm so sorry about Brielle. My prayers will be with her!

    P.S. I love Christmas songs in November too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo, i happen to be one who if FIRMLY against christmas music before thanksgiving. blasphemy! (no, i don't have strong feelings about it... :)) ;)

    i'm glad you guys will get to be home for christmas this year! i can imagine that last year just didn't feel "real" and that you were still processing things, trying to recover, and getting over the "numbness" of survival mode.

    i, like you, am so shocked and heartbroken about brielle. it has been on my mind constantly. everyone in our mom's group feels like family in a way and these things hit so close to home and my heart. i am glad for the good news they got, though.

    ReplyDelete